182 Year Old Cabin Open to the Public

In the 1930's,
Spencer Pumpelly made a discovery while hunting in the Waits Road area
of the Town of Owego, near the Pennsylvania border - a log cabin built
by Bill White in 1815. The pegged pine and hemlock cabin had no roof, but
was in good enough condition that Pumpelly paid $25 for it and removed
it piece by piece. He rebuilt the cabin at its present location on the
south side of the Susquehanna River.
It took White
two years to hew the logs by hand and build the story and a half high log
cabin. It took Pumpelly four years to take the cabin apart and rebuild
it. Each of the pieces were carefully numbered so they could be replaced
in the correct places. Today, some of the numbered pieces can still be
seen inside the cabin.
Pumpelly added a roof, a porch, and a large stone fireplace. His descendants have recently restored the cabin with modern amenities. The cabin is available to area residents for overnight, weekend, or stays of longer durations. It can also be rented for small gatherings. The glen has a nice swimming hole and lots of hiking trails. Daily rates for the cabin are $125, weekly $750. Rates for weddings and parties are negotiable. For more information on Pumpelly's Cabin, call 607-687-5656.

call (607) 687-5656